Joni Thome Wins Dedicated Advocacy Award
May 23, 2012
Baillon Thome Jozwiak & Wanta LLP congratulates founding partner Joni Thome on being the recipient of the 2012 Karla Wahl Dedicated Advocacy Award. Each year, the Executive Committee of the Minnesota Chapter of the National Employment Lawyer Association (NELA) honors one Minnesota attorney for her or his “ceaseless and courageous efforts to better the rights of Minnesota employees, honoring the spirit and memory of Karla Wahl.” This year, the Committee honored Joni Thome for her career of promoting employee rights.
The Karla Wahl Dedicated Advocacy Award was established in 2000 by Minnesota NELA to honor the memory of Karla Wahl. Karla was a dedicated and loyal advocate of civil rights who worked tirelessly to protect and advance the rights of employees in this state. Karla was a true friend to NELA and its members and she is greatly missed by those who knew her and worked with her. The Karla Wahl Dedicated Advocacy Award was established to honor Karla’s memory and to continue her tradition of promoting employee rights.
Selection criteria for the award includes:
- Taking on difficult battles;
- Giving employees their day in court;
- A dedicated and devoted fighter for employee rights;
- Promoting employment law;
- Mentoring other attorneys;
- Pushing the bounds of the law so that there are great protections for employees;
- Never giving up hope;
- Educating the public about employee rights;
- Lobbying at the legislature to expand the rights of employees and protect those that are in place;
- Being available to help employment lawyers with information and advice; and
- Viewing adversity as a challenge.
Joni Thome is a Labor and Employment Law Specialist, certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association who represents employees in wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and other employment matters. She has been named Superlawyer by Minnesota Law and Politics and the Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine each year since 2000.