Matthew S. Nolan is of counsel with Baillon Thome Jozwiak & Wanta LLP. He has been named a Rising Star by his peers and has practiced exclusively on behalf of employees in the area of employment law. His practice has been focused on employee advocacy and providing legal counsel and representation to employees who have been harmed by their employer through unlawful discrimination, retaliation and harassment, as well as wage and hour violations.
Matt was the Vice President for the Minnesota Chapter of the National Employment Law Association, served on the Diversity Committee of the Federal Bar Association, and was a founding member of the Employment and Labor Law Society at William Mitchell College of Law. Before attending law school, Matt worked as a strategic planner in marketing and advertising.
Publications and Presentations
- The Changing Landscape of Retaliation Claims: Applying the “But-For” Causation Standard After Gross and Nassar, Eighth Circuit NELA Conference, Panelist, 2014
Cross v. Northern Tier Retail, 27-cv-13-14593 (Dist. Ct. Minn. Mar. 7, 2014) (denial of defendant’s motion for summary judgment where genuine issues of material fact existed as to whether defendant discriminatorily discharged plaintiff on the basis of disability, as well as retaliated against plaintiff for plaintiff’s reports of discriminatory treatment, in violation of the MHRA)
McLeod v. Fairview Health Services, 0:10-cv-00898 (D. Minn. May 25, 2011) (partial denial of defendant’s motion for summary judgment where genuine issues of material fact existed as to whether the employer failed to accommodate a known disability in violation of the MHRA)
Brezina et al v. Chart (D. Minn. 2010) (order denying summary judgment for multiple employees where genuine issue of material fact existed as to whether these employees entered into valid settlement agreements with their former employer because they did not sign the agreements knowingly and voluntarily)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers® Rising Star, Employment Law, 2013-2014, 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D.
- Tufts University, Medford, MA, B.A.
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota